Sunday, June 1, 2014

Day 16

In Jon Krakauer’s book Eiger Dreams: Ventures Among Men and Mountains, Chapter 4 is titled: On Being Tentbound. It’s funny, fitting and worth sharing.  Here’s a section taken from pages 45-46.

“During a storm-wracked trip to Mt. Deborah with his closest friend, David Roberts, one of the premier Alaskan climbers of the 1960s and 1970s, recalls:

Our conversation either died insipidly or led to arguments. 
I felt so frustrated by the weather that I had to get angry at something; 
Don was the nearest object and the only one capable of response…
I had got into the habit of reacting to Don’s mannerisms—to the way he cleaned his knife, or held his book, or even breathed…
I was becoming, in the stagnation of our situation, both aggressive and paranoid. So I would try to keep from thinking about it; instead I would daydream about the pleasure of warmer, easier living. 
But all the while I would be working myself into a silent rage over the 
sound of Don’s chewing as he ate a candy bar.”


“There is a good deal written about the pleasures of solitude in the great outdoors, but when you’re caged in a tent, the world beyond the dank ripstop isn’t doing much for you anyway.”

1 comment:

  1. Jen, Im laughing so much! That was perfect for today! I wonder which of our guys is the chewer and which is the one silently biding his time waiting to snap! Either way, from here in sunny and warm PA,, it's funny! Thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete